OLD CAPITOL FARMERS MARKET POWER OF PRODUCE CLUB
We’re thrilled to announce the Old Capitol Farmers Market Power of Produce Club to help empower and educate children to buy healthy food.
The POP Club is a nationally recognized program for kids ages 4-12 years old that DSI has brought to our downtown Market! The program teaches children about fruits and vegetables, local food systems, and making healthy food choices through a series of fun activities. Each week during the summer season (through October 30), the Springfield POP Club will meet at the Old Capitol Farmers Market on Saturdays. Participants also receive $2 in POP Bucks to spend on fruits or vegetables to purchase.
In only its first two weeks, 25 kids have enrolled in POP Club. Activities have included a scavenger hunt and planting seeds from the Lincoln Library’s “Seed Library.” Your kiddo will not want to miss out on the rest of the activities.
POP Club is made possible thanks to a grant awarded from Women for Women. Women for Women is a special initiative at the Community Foundation for the Land of Lincoln and aims to help members “build a legacy together” by pooling their annual contributions and creating a permanent resource for local programs that support women and children. The launch of POP Club is also made possible by supporting sponsor Bank of Springfield.
WHAT KIDS, between the ages of 4-12 years, SHOULD EXPECT:
- Register at the Market Information Tent which you can find at 4th and Adams. Registration is required only once.
- Participate in a fun, learning activity like a scavenger hunt or coloring page.
- Kids receive a $2 POP Club Buck token to purchase fresh fruits or vegetables at the market.
- Check in every Saturday to receive a new token!
- Spend your token or save it up for a larger produce item in a future week.
- Join at any time during the summer market season and keep coming back until the harvest is finished.
While we are talking about the benefits of bringing kids to the Market.
Did your child receive a Pandemic-EBT (P-EBT) card? You can also spend P-EBT at the Farmers Market. It is very simple to use the card at the Market. Just visit us at the Market Information Tent at 4th and Adams and we will process your P-EBT funds to a Market Healthy Ways card (think debit card) which can be used at a majority of our vendors. In addition, the market will match up to $25 of the P-EBT benefits to spend on fruits and vegetables.