The 21st summer season of the Old Capitol Farmers Market starts Saturday, May 16 and takes place every Wednesday and Saturday from 8 am – 1 pm through October 31, 2020. Farmers Markets are considered an Essential Service during COVID-19.
DSI is proud to be able to provide access to fresh, local foods during these difficult times. We have worked closely with Sangamon County Public Health, the City of Springfield, and our premier sponsor HSHS St. John’s to enact new services and safety precautions.
Pre-Order with Curbside Pickup:
You can pre-order from the Farmers Market each week from Sunday at 9 am thru Tuesday at 5 pm and pick up your order in your car the following Saturday morning with our complimentary curbside service.
Social Distancing Guidelines:
– All customers should wear a mask per State of Illinois orders
– Stay home if you are sick or you are in a high-risk group
– Follow CDC guidelines to practice good cough and hand hygiene
– Customers age 65+ should have someone shop for them whenever possible
– Customers age 65+ that need to shop for themselves should shop early
– Customers are not allowed to touch produce/products before buying, the vendor will bag purchases
– Customers are not allowed to eat food at the Market
– Make a shopping list and complete shopping as quickly as possible
– This is not a social hour! Limit interactions with other customers, vendors
– Pay with credit or debit. If paying with cash, pay with exact change (or round up) to limit touches. The Market will not provide cash tokens this year.
– SNAP customers will still be able to use LINK card for tokens.
– Limit two customers per household
– Only bring small children if necessary
– No pets
What products are available at the next market? Find out here
Are my favorite vendors at the market? Find out here
We support local farmers and local ingredients! Vendors may participate in the Market if they meet our requirements and register online. Prices benefit those steady vendors who participate more weeks of the market.
Click here to learn more about becoming a vendor.
Due to COVID-19, DSI is not accepting applications this summer for Artisan, Community Group or Commercial Tent vendors.
If you are a grower interested in becoming a vendor at the 2020 summer season of the Old Capitol Farmers Market, the application is now live. Please note there have been some updates to our policies. Once you have completed your application, it will be reviewed for approval. If you are approved you will receive an email notification and an invoice. Payment is not due until after the application is processed.
If you have any questions, please contact the Market Manager, Kayla Graven, at email@example.com or at the Downtown Springfield Inc. Office at 217-544-1723 or text 217-718-4494.
SUMMER MARKET LOCATION
The Market is located on Adams Street between 3rd and 5th Streets. On Saturdays, we extend the Market to 2nd Street.
WHERE TO PARK
On Wednesdays, you should feed the meters on the street. Note that street parking is free downtown up to 14 days after the Stay at Home order is lifted (except where meters are bagged).
On Saturdays, parking on the street is always free. Resource One kindly allows shoppers to use their parking lot for free (enter using 3rd Street). You may also park in the City of Springfield parking ramp at 4th and Washington for $5. There is also free parking at the lot at 2nd and Washington and walk through the Sangamo Club entrance toward Adams St. Download the map>
Tokens are available for LINK & LINK Match dollars and are available for purchase on Wednesdays and Saturdays at our market booth at 4th & Adams.
For LINK customers, the Market matches your orange tokens with LINK Match Dollars up to $25. For example, we can scan your card for $25 and give you $25 worth of orange tokens and $25 worth of LINK Match Dollars for a total of $50 to spend at the market.
- Orange tokens are purchased with EBT and be used on any SNAP/LINK eligible grocery item. This includes but is not limited to baked goods, popcorn, produce, meat & cheese. This does not include ready to eat items or artisan goods. Vendors cannot give change for orange tokens.
- Up to $25 in LINK Match Dollars are given every time you swipe your EBT card at the market. (as long as funds are available) These can be used for whole, unprocessed produce ONLY. Vendors cannot give change for LINK Match Dollars.
- Wooden tokens for cash value are not available for purchase this year due to COVID.
HSHS St. John’s Hospital has supported the Old Capitol Farmers Market as Premier Sponsor since 1999.
The Old Capitol Farmers Market is managed by Downtown Springfield, Inc. Springfield Area Arts Council juries the artisan vendors for us. The City of Springfield Office of Public Works also supports the Market. Contact our Market Manager with any questions.
The Old Capitol Farmers Market strives to:
- Support small farms and local growers by providing a venue to directly market their goods.
- Strengthen the local economy by providing a venue for the public to connect with local growers, artisans, musicians, and entrepreneurs.
- Build community by providing a public gathering space for community members to engage, interact, and exchange ideas with the people and projects around them.
- Encourage healthy lifestyles through increasing availability of fresh produce and locally raised food.
- Celebrate the diversity of locally-grown food and artisan products that are unique to Springfield and central Illinois.
- Support, revitalize, and grow downtown Springfield by increasing foot traffic and patronage to the downtown area.
FRIENDS OF THE MARKET STREET DINNER
This wonderful four-course dinner under the stars on the Old State Capitol Plaza sold out last year, and there’s a good reason why! Four courses of Market ingredients are expertly prepared by four local chefs, with wine pairings for each course, for only a $100 ticket. All proceeds go toward the programming at the Old Capitol Farmers Market. This year’s event is scheduled for Thursday, September 3, 2020. Tickets go on sale to the general public on July 13, 2020.
HALLOWEEN AT THE MARKET
Note: This popular annual event will NOT be held during the 2020 summer season due to COVID precautions.
SATURDAY WHILE YOU SHOP
Note: These activities will NOT be held during the 2020 summer season due to COVID precautions.
9 am: Family Fitness Activity
9:30 am: Healthy Cooking Tent – Chef Demonstration
10 am – Noon: Acoustic Music at the Market programmed by Springfield Area Arts Council
DSI RELEASES 2019 IMPACT REPORT
New attendance records were set during the 2019 season of the Old Capitol Farmers Market. Thanks to all of our vendors, patrons, sponsors and partners for another amazing year of community in downtown Springfield! Read the report